Friday, July 16, 2010

Laneige Sunblock SPF 40 PA++

I recently went to Korea, and since summer is here, I decided to look for a sun block. Laneige's sunblock does not really have the reputation of being the best or most popular in Korea. I believe Neutrogena has that honor, but I still wanted to try this sunblock for two reasons:
1. With my poor Korean, I vaguely heard the sales assistant say that this is a physical sunblock and I have been looking for a physical sunscreen for quite some time. (for a comparison of physical and chemical sunscreen, read my next entry)
2. I have been using the laneige skincare for some time, so overall I trust this brand and I prefer to use products from the same brand (it is just me, I just feel better this way and I know some people hate this kind of thinking, so sorry)

I've checked the reviews on this before buying, and the reviews are quite controversial. Some people love it, while others hate it, so I was curious as to what I would think.

Before I go into what I think about this sunblock, I should mention that this sunblock is special from most sunscreen/sunblocks. This promises to be illuminating and provide some covering function. Also, it is supposed to repair your skin.

Overall, I love this sunscreen because it does exactly what it promises, and has most things I look for in a sunscreen.
This sunblock turns out to be quite illuminating, but not in a bad way. It gives me the glowy finish I love, but is not shiny (as my laneige foundation sometimes tend to be). However, keep in mind that I applied 0.4 ml of product, as advised on the laneige website. I imagine if you apply more, you would end up a little shiny. 
Another thing that I love about this product is that the zinc and titanium dioxide (the sun protecting properties) are put together so densely that I only need to apply a pea sized amount, as compared to the handful I need when using neutrogena sunscreen. 
However, I found that this sunblock provides sheer coverage at best (I actually didn't notice any coverage), and unlike the foundations which last me through a day without powder, this can become a little shiny around the nose after 6 hours of wear (without powder). I solved this little problem by dabbing some of their sunscreen powder on (to be reviewed soon). :)

Overall, a good product. I would give it a 4.5 rating. 

2 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    so you are saying that if we use the sunblock from Laneige, we don't have to use Base?
    Thanks
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It smooths the skin very well and really does give you a glow, but it does not control oil like a good primer would do. If you want a sunscreen that really works well as a primer, Sofina Perfect UV White Protect is perfect. It smoothes skin and controls oil wonderfully. :)
    http://aquabeautydream.blogspot.com/2010/12/sofina-perfect-uv-white-protect-review.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...