Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Laneige Brightening Sun Powder SPF 50 PA+++ Review

Hi, girls, sorry I haven't updated in a long time. I went on a short vacation with my SO and his family, and overall I had a really great time! I had a real dilemma on the vacation because I do not dare go outside without any kind of sun protection, and it can be quite tedious to apply sunblock every four hours, since by the third time, your face would become an oily mess no matter how good the sunblock really is.
This is why this Laneige Brightening Sun Powder is essentially a life saver for me. On the Laneige website, it said that you can reapply as frequently as you want, and the sunscreen will only give you a brightening effect, with no color added. As with most Laneige products, this sun powder did exactly what it promised, nothing more, nothing less. I can cake on a thick layer, and the layer would disappear within 30 seconds, only leaving a healthy glow behind! I believe it also acts as a setting powder since as long as I applied this, there is no oiliness on my skin. To me, this is pretty amazing!

As you can see, it comes in a pretty golden compact that is kind of iridescent. My SO's aunt said it looked really princessy and I quite agree! :) Inside, there's some kind of yellowish powder in the middle with pink powder surrounding it. At first, I thought this was really weird, and was afraid that the combination might make me look really weird. However, it really gives no color at all. I asked the SA at the Laneige counter in my horrible Korean, and she told me that the yellow powder at the center is actually Vitamin C, and the powder on the outside is the actual sunscreen, so why applying, you have to really swirl your brush in the compact. 
I found this kind of annoying at first, and wondered why someone would put Vitamin C powder in the middle of a sunscreen, but I bought it nonetheless because I've loved Laneige for a long time. So when I got home, I googled the effect of putting Vitamin C and sunscreen together, and after a while, I found a peer reviewed scientific study that said if you apply antioxidants with sunscreen, it boosts the protection of sunscreen and the effects of the antioxidants. I was amazed! The study was only released on early February, and this product came out in May! Even though I cannot really attest to whether the study is true, and whether the sunscreen really gives that much extra benefit, I can say that this sunscreen leaves my skin bright and gives a glowy matte finish that's very believable.

I lent this to my SO's aunt, and it also gave a lovely glow to her skin even though her skintone is so much darker than mine. However, one thing she found very annoying is that no matter how much she slather on, it offers zero coverage.

In summary: This is a very good sunscreen powder that I like to apply after sunblock, and use for reapplication. It kind of acts as a blotting powder, and leaves after only a glow. There is no cakiness no matter how much you apply, but there is also zero coverage. In addition, this contains Vitamin C, which according to a peer reviewed scientific study released in February, will offer better sunscreen protection and boosts the benefits of Vitamin C. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    What sunscreen filters are in this powder? So far I really like all the products I've tried from Laniege (Water Sleeping Pack EX, strawberry peeling gel + mask). Thinking of buying this for sunscreen touchups but want to know if it will react with my sunscreen underneath. Love your blog, so helpful =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Melissa!
    Thank you for reading my blog! I think the filter is titanium dioxide, a mineral sunblock that doesn't react with a lot. However, I don't know Korean that well, so I had to ask a coworker to translate it for me, so I'm not 100% sure. I too am using this sunscreen for touchups and I like it this way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...